Cal Poly Pomona
POMONA – The 23rd-ranked Cal Poly Pomona men’s basketball team avenged a loss against Cal State San Marcos, defeating the Cougars 69-63 on the road on Saturday night.THE BASICS:
Final: Cal Poly Pomona 69, Cal State San Marcos 63
Records: CPP (18-5, 15-4 CCAA), CSUSM (18-6, 13-5 CCAA)
Location: San Marcos, Calif.HOW IT HAPPENED:
– In a battle for the top spot in the CCAA, the Broncos came out firing, working a 21-10 lead over the Cougars capped off by a three-pointer from Nikhil Peters.
– As both teams traded points for the remainder of the half, CSUSM chipped away at the lead, heading into halftime down 32-27.
– CPP and San Marcos were evenly matched throughout the night with the Broncos edging out CSUSM in shooting percentage 45 to 43 percent, in rebounds 39-36 and in free throws made with nine to seven.
– The Broncos continued to add to their lead in the second half, going ahead by as much as 12 points after a three-pointer by Quentin Taylor made it 48-36.
– The Cougars didn’t quit, however, scoring 12 straight points to tie the game before taking the lead 51-50.
– As they continued to trade points, back-to-back threes by Taylor and Peters kept the lead for CPP at 61-57.
– CSUSM made it a three point game before a layup for Taylor and free throws by Chris Sullivan, Riley Schaefer, and Jordan Ogundiran sealed the win.KEY PERFORMERS:
– Taylor finished with a team-high 16 points while adding four assists and six rebounds on the night,
– Following him was William Christmas with 15 points and six rebounds and Ogundiran with 10 points.
– Phoenix Shackelford and Peters each tallied nine points while Sullivan collected a team-high 10 rebounds.OUTSIDE THE BOX:
– With the win, CPP extends their first-place lead as the three teams following CPP own a conference record of 13-5.