Cal Poly Pomona
POMONA – The Cal Poly Pomona women’s basketball team held on to their second-place spot in the California Collegiate Athletic Association standings, earning a 70-57 road victory over Humboldt State on Thursday night.THE BASICS:
Final: Cal Poly Pomona 70, Humboldt State 57
Records: CPP (11-4, 8-2 CCAA), HSU (8-8, 7-4 CCAA)
Location: Arcata, Calif.HOW IT HAPPENED:
– After scoring the opening basket of the game, the Broncos never trailed the Jacks, holding on to the lead for the remainder of the game after Kerianne Noonan made it 4-2.
– The Broncos shot 42.4 percent from the field while holding the Jacks to a mark of 35.6 percent.
– CPP took their first double-digit lead with 5:55 to in the second quarter as Crystal Malveaux sank two free throws to make it 30-20.
– After falling behind by 15 points in the third quarter, Humboldt State battled back to bring the game to within six points, 51-45, in the fourth quarter.
– The Broncos used an 8-0 run to secure the winning, breaking away from HSU with their largest lead of the night at 68-52 with just over a minute to play.
– Priscilla Brooks led the Broncos with a double-double, tallying a game-high 18 points and 10 rebounds.
– Scoring a season-high was Jordyn Shane who finished with 15 points along with three rebounds and two assists.
– Dominque Dotson recorded 10 points while Alyssa Benton and Chelsea Waddy-Blow each tallied eight points. OUTSIDE THE BOX:
– The Broncos extended their win-streak, winning their seventh-straight game.
– CPP even the series against the Jacks as they avenged a home loss to Humboldt State earlier in the season.
– Brooks tallied her fifth double-double of the season, making a season high in points with 18.COMING UP NEXT:
The Broncos continue their road trip north as they travel to Chico State for a CCAA matchup on Saturday, Jan. 13.Print …