Cal Poly Pomona
POMONA – In one of their longest road trips of the season, the Cal Poly Pomona women’s basketball team fell short of the weekend sweep, falling to Chico State 71-59 on Saturday night.THE BASICS:
Final: Cal Poly Pomona 59, Humboldt State 71
Records: CPP (11-5, 8-3 CCAA), CSUC (10-6, 8-4 CCAA)
Location: Chico, Calif.HOW IT HAPPENED:
– The Broncos began the game with a strong performance in the first quarter, outscoring Chico State 17-11, ending the quarter with a 5-0 run.
– CPP took their largest lead of the night midway through the second quarter, leading 26-17.
– Chico State made their first big run after that, outscoring the Broncos 17-6 to end the first half with a 38-34 advantage.
– The Wildcats shots 43 percent from the field while CPP finished with a field goal percentage of 36 percent.
– Chico also won the battle down low, outrebounding the Broncos 44-35.
– Both teams traded off points to start the second half, eventually tying the game 46-46.
– Chico ended the third quarter scoring nine straight points, holding on to the lead for the remainder of the contest.KEY PERFORMERS:
– For the second night in a row, Casey McWilliam led the Broncos in scoring, tallying 14 points while shooting 6-for-12 from the field.
– Alyssa Benton finished with a team-high six rebounds while adding 11 points.
– Also finishing in double figures in points was Jackie Ricketson with 11 points as well, adding five rebounds.OUTSIDE THE BOX:
– The loss snaps CPP’s seven-game win streak dating back to nearly a month ago when the Broncos defeated Cal State Dominguez Hills on Dec. 14.
– Chico State evened the season series against the Broncos, losing the first game at Kellogg Arena 66-50 in the first weekend of conference play.
– Despite losing to the Wildcats, the Broncos remain in second place in the CCAA standings, …