Cal Poly Pomona
LA JOLLA – The Cal Poly Pomona women’s basketball team scored six points in the final 15 seconds but couldn’t convert the final shot, losing to UC San Diego 68-66 on the road on Friday night.THE BASICS:
Final: Cal Poly Pomona 66, UC San Diego 68
Records: CPP (15-8, 12-6 CCAA), UCSD (20-3, 16-1 CCAA)
Location: RIMAC Arena I La Jolla, Calif.HOW IT HAPPENED:
– The Broncos and Tritons traded off scoring in the first quarter before back-to-back three-pointers by Alyssa Benton gave CPP a 12-8 advantage.
– UCSD made four straight free throws to tie the game 12-12 after the first period.
– The second quarter continued with each team trading buckets before a final shot by the Tritons gave them a 28-27 lead heading into the break.
– CPP outshot the Tritons from the field, shooting 49 percent to UCSD’s 42 percent while the Tritons tallied 19 made three throws to only 12 for the Broncos.
– UCSD scored four straight points to open the third quarter, holding to the lead for the majority of the period until a layup by Chelsea Waddy-Blow made it 42-40 Broncos.
– The Broncos used a 10-0 run in the fourth quarter to take a 58-50 advantage before the Tritons fought back, taking the lead once again 62-60.
– Down 67-62 with eight seconds to play, Casey McWilliam drained a three to keep the Broncos alive.
– A free throw by Chelsea Waddy-Blow made it 66-68 before a turnover on the inbound pass gave the Broncos a chance for a last-second shot but were unable to convert as the tying shot bounced off the rim.KEY PERFORMERS:
– Scoring the first six points for the Broncos, Jackie Ricketson finished with a game-high 22 points while tallying five assists and five rebounds.
– Waddy-Blow finished with 14 points along with six rebounds while McWilliam totaled 12 points and three steals and …