UAB Blazer Invitational
Friday, Jan. 12, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama | Birmingham CrossPlex
The FIU men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams turned in another solid day of results on Friday at the UAB Blazer Invitational at the Birmingham CrossPlex. The Panthers had numerous competitors on both the men’s and women’s side finish in the top 10 of their respective events. Friday’s meet is the first of back-to-back meets at UAB. FIU will get back to work tomorrow in the UAB Vulcan Invitational.
– Clarissa Cutliff (Orlando, Florida/Edgewater) posted a fourth-place finish in the high jump with a height of 1.77m, falling just shy of her 1.80m jump at the season-opening Clemson University Orange & Purple Classic last week.
– Reigning Conference USA Women’s Field Athlete of the week, Terrisa Russell (Ft. Lauderdale, Florida/South Broward), advanced to the finals of both the weight throw and the shot put. Russell, who won the weight throw last week at the Clemson with a distance of 18.18m, set a mark of 17.49m on Friday. In the shot put, Russell recorded a throw of 13.25m.
– Sherilene Gelderblom (Middelburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa) had an impressive outing in her first meet of the indoor season, finishing the mile in a time of 4:59.76, one spot ahead of teammate Rahel Gerbretsadik (Tel-Aviv, Israel) who posted a time of 5:08.98.
Other top women’s results included:
– Timberly Molden (Stone Mountain, Ga.) – 13.25m – Shot Put
– Nadja Radovic (Belgrade, Serbia) – 11.43m – Triple Jump
– Terneka Gibson (Miami Gardens, Fla./Miami Carol City) – 1:19.58 – 500m
– On the men’s side, Jorge Areces (Miami, Florida/Christopher Columbus) and David Suarez led FIU’s runners by taking top-five finishes in the 5000m. Areces finished fourth with a time of 16:46.63, while Suarez was right behind, posting a time of 17:22.03.
– Reed Service (Tampa, Florida/Riverview) recorded a career-best in …