Cal Poly Pomona
POMONA – Behind a double-double by Chelsea Waddy-Blow, the Cal Poly Pomona women’s basketball registered a win on Tuesday night, defeating Cal State San Marcos 77-51 at Kellogg Arena.THE BASICS:
Final: Cal State San Marcos 51, Cal Poly Pomona 77
Records: CSUSM (7-13, 7-9 CCAA), CPP (15-7, 12-5 CCAA)
Location: Kellogg Arena I Pomona, Calif.HOW IT HAPPENED:
– CSUSM started the night on a hot streak, scoring the first eight points on the contest before taking a 10-2 advantage.
– CPP cut into the lead, heading into the second quarter down only 14-11.
– The second quarter was all Broncos as they outscored CSUSM 24-8 to take a 13-point, 35-22 lead into the half.
– The shooting battle was close with CPP finishing with a field goal percentage of 37 percent while the Cougars managed 39 percent.
– The difference came in the rebounds, as the Broncos managed 23 offensive rebounds, totaling 22 second-chance points while the Cougars managed only two second-chance points.
– CPP continued to add to their lead, stringing together points as they took their largest lead at 27 points with just over two minutes to play in the game.KEY PERFORMERS:
– Waddy-Blow finished with a game-high 22 points while collecting another game-high 12 rebounds in the process to complete the double-double.
– Behind her, Priscilla Brooks finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds for CPP’s second double-double of the night.
– Alyssa Benton finished with eight points while Jackie Ricketson added seven points of her own. OUTSIDE THE BOX:
– With the win, the Broncos bounce back to second-place in the CCAA standings, holding the tiebreaker with Humboldt State.
– The Broncos have won two straight games, scoring 77 points in both contests.
– This marks the first time this season that two Broncos recorded double-doubles in the same game.COMING UP NEXT:
The Broncos hit the road for the rest of the week, playing at …