Cal Poly Pomona
SAN MARCOS – The Cal Poly Pomona women’s basketball team bounced back on Saturday night, downing Cal State San Marcos 72-68 on the road to complete the season sweep of the Cougars.THE BASICS:
Final: Cal Poly Pomona 72, Cal State San Marcos 68
Records: CPP (17-5, 14-4 CCAA), CSUSM (15-8, 12-5 CCAA)
Location: San Marcos, Calif.HOW IT HAPPENED:
– The Broncos jumped out ahead early, taking a 7-1 advantage before holding an 11-7 lead midway through the first quarter.
– CSUSM closed out the first quarter with an 11-4 run to take the lead at 18-15.
– The Cougars led by as many as 13 points in the second quarter before the Broncos settled in, cutting the lead to 36-31 heading into the halftime break.
– Both teams were evenly matched from the field, shooting 39 percent while the Broncos won the rebounding battle 46-30 and tallying 14 second-chance points.
– San Marcos held the lead for a majority of the third quarter before two free throws by Alyssa Benton gave the Broncos the lead for the remainder of the night, leading 42-41.
– The Broncos took their largest lead of the game with 2:43 remaining as Chelsea Waddy-Blow converted two free throw attempts to lead 68-58.
– CSUSM cut the lead to only two points in the final minute before a layup by Waddy-Blow sealed the victory for CPP.KEY PERFORMERS:
– Waddy-Blow finished with a team-high 23 points for the Broncos while adding eight rebounds.
– Totaling 12 points was Jordyn Shane while Benton finished with 11 points and seven rebounds.
– Jackie Ricketson and Priscilla Brooks each finished with nine points while Brooks collected a team-high 11 boards and six steals.OUTSIDE THE BOX:
– CPP continues their hold on second-place in the CCAA standings ahead of both Humboldt State and Chico State.
– The Broncos won both games against CSUSM this season after defeating …