Cal Poly Pomona
POMONA – The Cal Poly Pomona women’s basketball team improved their win streak to five games, defeating San Francisco State 76-57 on the road on Friday night.THE BASICS:
Final: Cal Poly Pomona 76, San Francisco State 57
Records: CPP (9-4, 6-2 CCAA), SFSU (4-8, 2-7 CCAA)
Location: The Swamp I San Francisco, Calif.HOW IT HAPPENED:
– It was a slow start for the Broncos as San Francisco State jumped out to an early 9-2 lead.
– CPP answered quickly, tying the game at 11-11 before closing out the first quarter with 10 straight points to lead 21-11.
– The Broncos added to the lead throughout the second quarter, taking a 41-22 lead after two free throws by Jordyn Shane.
– CPP finished the night with a shooting percentage of 52 percent from the field while the defense remained strong, holding the Gators to a mark of 39.6 percent.
– Broncos dominated the paint, outrebounding San Francisco State 40-27.
– CPP took their largest lead of the night in the fourth quarter, leading 76-54 with just over two minutes to play.KEY PERFORMERS:
– Priscilla Brooks led the Broncos in points and rebounds, finishing one board short of a double-double with 18 points and nine rebounds.
– Jackie Ricketson continued her strong scoring performance with 17 points along with three steals.
– Alyssa Benton notched 11 points while Crystal Malveaux and Adaora Obi each tallied nine points.OUTSIDE THE BOX:
– Friday’s win was the third straight for the CPP over the Gators.
– After dropping the first two games of the season, the Broncos are 9-2 in the last games while winning their fifth straight.
– The Broncos defense ranks No. 1 in the league, holding seven of their opponents to less than 60 points. COMING UP NEXT:
The Broncos continue their road trip as they head to Sonoma State for a CCAA matchup on Saturday, Jan. 6.Print Friendly …